Thursday, September 23, 2010

Comfort Food

So there's this little sandwich shop in Tampa that Eric and I LOVE.  Although we have to limit ourselves to it only once in a while because it's just that bad for you...in an oh-so-good way. You know what I mean.  It's called Brocato's and has been around for 50+ years. I would have hyperlinked that to take you to their website...but they don't have one because they're old school. And I like that. 
That's right...that's an outdoor shed that they have for seating. Because there's never enough room inside. It is a rare occasion to not have a line out the door. They have the most amazing hot sandwiches...any kind you can think of really. Italian Sausage is one of my favorites, but they also have traditional Cuban Pork, etc. Eric went for a classic hot cuban this time...

I only had a bite and it was delicious. Where was my sandwich? Oh I didn't get one. Am I crazy? No...if there's anything better than Brocato's sandwiches, it's their stuffed potatoes.
It's basically a blob of mashed potatoes, lightly breaded and fried, with chili stuffed in the middle. But not greasy. Does that makes sense?  Notice my Texas Pete on the side...oh so good with a little hot sauce.  And it's so large, I literally get one as a meal. And still can't finish.  They also have AMAZING deviled crabs...although not as good as Carmine's in Ybor City, but that's another post. Eric was brave and ordered a deviled crab and a sandwich.

Also with hot sauce slathered all over it. Delicious.  But the best part is, you get to wash it all down with their "just like Nana made it sweet tea."  Even though Florida is in the south, it's not "southern", and we miss homemade sweet tea every once in a while. Fret no more, the giant cups here are refillable...for free!

Needless to say, I only eat here if I've had a good, long workout that morning...and the next day, and the next...
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment