Friday, October 21, 2011

{Day 21} of 31 Days of Balance: It's a Date


 The best thing that I did to balance work and home when I started law school was to start making dates. With my husband, with my friends, with my family...for everything. Even small things, like cook dinner at home. And then I stuck to them. 

Last year, my husband and I bought tickets to a show months and months in advance and then....an exam was scheduled for 2 days after that. We kept the tickets and went to the show. My classmates thought I was insane, but I had planned in advance for it, and I still did quite well on the exam.

When we get busy, it's easy to neglect the people and the relationships that matter the most to us, because we know they'll always be there for us - through thick and thin. Instead, let's make them a priority - just as much as any exam, or deadline, or project going on. These people are our constants - our balance - in the midst of the craziness of life. Set apart time for them, not as an afterthought, but as an important part of every week. And try your best to keep the commitment.

Our loved ones want to be the good, the comfort, the positive thoughts that balance out the everyday. Let them.


[If you want to start with this series from the beginning, click here. You can check out all the other 31-dayers here.]



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this - it's exactly what I needed today. Between my job & MBA classes, I need to get back to making dates and sticking to them. So important! Keep the balance posts coming - I love them!

    ReplyDelete