Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Around the House - Christmas 2011

Eric and I went on a cruise with his family for Christmas this year, and had a blast! But for some reason, I had a really hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year, despite my normal obsession with it. I don't know if it was because Christmas signals exam time, and my brain shut down this year, or if it was because the weather was warmer, or the fact that I knew we would be in the tropics on Christmas Day, or WHAT. Maybe a combination? We didn't even host a holiday party this year. Not being super-spirited wasn't even really a bad thing to me, honestly, which surprised me. Eric and I have loved the milder weather this year, and we just did the things that made us happy all season instead of feeling obligated to bake, buy, wrap, and host parties. We had a fantastic vacation and cruise...very relaxing. We didn't force traditional Christmas this year, and it was nice. We just did what we felt like doing, let the cards fall where they may, and enjoyed a warm vacation. (More on the cruise later.)


With that being said, all of you who know me know that our house is normally decked out for the holidays. We kept it much simpler this year, but I loved it just as much. And I didn't take a million nice, edited photos. These are from my phone. Eh. Totally fine with me this year.


Arrangement made with magnolia leaves, pine, and red berries courtesy of...my front yard.

The one bit of baking I did...isn't Christmas without Peanut Butter Blossoms.


Simple red ornaments and a new addition to our decor this year...love this little reindeer. He is made out of metal and painted white - the look of ceramic without the fragility!

Foyer Table - Apothecary, snow, bottle brush tree. And a favorite photo/frame dressed up with a glittery poinsettia.

Cranberries on the laundry room door.

Tree.

A Christmas bird's nest that Eric's grandmother gave me served as centerpiece under a glass cloche.

I didn't think I was going to have time to decorate our bedroom at all for the holidays this year. My sweet husband put up this cranberry garland for me just to bring a smile to my face...despite the fact that those little berries go all OVER the place. Love that man.

Last but not least, some traditional Pizelle making. Eric's grandmother passed her Pizelle maker down to us last Christmas and this was our first year making them together on our own. Loved that her handwritten recipe was tucked down in the box.


And that's the extent of our holiday decorating this year! Scaled down, but full of love. Now the decorations on our cruise ship were another story...stay tuned for vacation details coming soon :)

1 comment: