Thursday, February 10, 2011

A New Semester!


I haven't blogged much about school since the new semester started, and that's mostly because I've kept myself busy, but this semester is off to a great start! It's as hectic as ever, but I'm enjoying my classes more this semester more than I have any others since I've been in law school!  I just began Trial Advocacy , and I love it so far...much more than I anticipated!  I'm not 100% positive what type of  law I'd like to practice, but Stetson is number one, literally, in the country for trial advocacy, so I figured I would be crazy not to take the class while I have the opportunity. Even if I decide trial work isn't for me, it's still an invaluable learning experience.

And here we are! I'm posting this more for myself and Eric to look back on one day, but I know some of you reading have been asking questions about how this class works and are looking forward to seeing videos as well.  Basically, we learn a new trial skill every week, prep for it, and then practice it in front of our classmates (the jury) and professor (the judge) the following week. The class ends with a final trial, which is how my final grade is determined. (I have to provide my own witnesses for that, so stay tuned for a few snippets of Eric as my star witness in a couple of months! ha!) In this particular (hypothetical) case, I represent a defendant who has been accused of murdering his wife. Just between me and you...I don't think he did it :)

Anywho, we are videotaped each week so that we can go back and watch and see what things we need to improve on. This was my very first assignment in this class and very first opening statement to a jury, period. Essentially, this is my moral plea, my tug-at-your-heart-strings appeal, to the members of the jury. And yes, I do feel incredibly cheesy sometimes with my theme, but it's the way it has to be done! My professor was pleased, and I'm getting used to it :)





Direct Examination to come!

1 comment:

  1. I am SO THRILLED you found my blog! It is so great to know that someone has made it through the first year! You are certainly the first law school blogger I've found. Can't wait to be reading your posts on how life is as a 2L!

    ReplyDelete